Monday, April 8, 2013

understanding Grace

cows grazing in Ireland. Near the Cliffs of Moher.

"You know that you're way overdue for your car inspection right? You should have gotten it done in November. It's April." The car mechanic gives me a disapproving look and I nod sheepishly, guilty as charged.

"I know, I know. I've been meaning to do it..." I trail off.

Maybe I should have feigned ignorance. Inspection? Huh? What's that? Is it better to be oblivious, or to know but not do anything about it. When these thoughts come to me, I'm always reminded of Jesus on the cross praying to the Father Forgive them for they know not what they do. If I know exactly what I'm doing, I guess I'm without excuse. Better to not know at all, I decide.

"The DMV closes soon," he says, as he glances at the clock. "You might be able to catch them if you go now."

So off I went, driving fast, off to the inspection center. I was the last one in for the day with a ticket time of 12:01. They closed at 12 but I somehow squeezed in. I expected the inspection guy to give me a dirty look and maybe an eye roll. Lady, you're way past your inspection date. I deserved that and more. But no, no critical gaze, only, "Turn off your engine dear, leave the key in the ignition...you can turn it on again dear." 15 minutes and a new 2014 sticker later, it was over.

The incident reminded me of how thankful I am for grace, and how undeserving I am of it. It gives me a tiny glimpse of the Father's grace for me through Jesus Christ.

How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure. That He should give His only Son, to make a wretch His treasure. Thank God that Christ's blood covers over a multitude of sin, both the ones I do without knowing, as well as the ones I commit in full knowledge, in active rebellion.

No comments:

Post a Comment